My Life

My Life

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Let Them Play!!

I was inspired by a blog I came across recently :
http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2011/10/find-it.html?spref=fb


It was water for my early childhood education roots! After reading through some posts, I put in my teacher eyes and began observing my children and looking around our environment with fresh perspective.


For several months now, Shayde whines and cries whenever he sees one of us with a water bottle. Is he oh so thirsty?? No. He wants to take the lid on and off the bottle...which he needs help with and which makes a huge mess unless the bottle is empty. We've had some pretty good fits in the middle of a store...and also a really wet baby a couple times when a weak mommy gave in.


He also loves the Desitin tube. Diaper changing time became much more pleasant once we had an empty tube to give him. He likes to open and close the cap.


It occurred to me the other day that he is showing us an area that he is ready to explore and develop further. Hence, the container box was created!













Putting foam shapes/stickers into the containers is even more fine motor practice! Even big brother got in on the fun! ;) A Welch's squeezable grape jelly container has the perfect lid for older children to practice inserting objects. **Note: We did have a couple glass containers in the box. It seemed safe enough on the carpet...until Shayde threw one of them into the kitchen and it shattered on the tile. RIP salt shaker. We now have only nonbreakables!

I'll be watching for my children to tell me what they are ready for next!






1 comment:

  1. LOVE this idea. I can totally relate to the mishaps of the water bottle. Very smart and I will be stealing!!!

    ReplyDelete