My Life

My Life

Monday, January 16, 2012

Baking Bread and Saving $Dough$!

The boys and I like cinnamon raisin bread for breakfast. After seeing the $3.69 price tag at Target and not having any coupons, I just couldn't buy it yesterday. Instead I grabbed a large conatiner of raisins for around $3 and decided I'd try and bake my own. I had all the other basic ingredients on hand. I haven't done an exact price break down, but I know it's A LOT cheaper to bake our own. I got a 5lb bag of flour for $1 in November (recipe uses 8 cups). The recipe used maybe 1/5 or less of the raisins. Add a few eggs, little milk, yeast, etc...Surely under $1 for the ingredients used...And it made 3 LOAVES! Turned out pretty tasty too! :) I used this recipe.






We devoured half of the first loaf this morning (with a bit of butter!), so I'd rate it a success! Changes: I may add some cinnamon to the dough next time...not just in the swirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment