My Life

My Life

Monday, May 7, 2012

I'm Going Pantsless!!!

This experiment will be controversial, I'm quite sure, and get some unapproving thoughts and comments from some of my friends. I have friends and family of many beliefs and I love them all and respect their right to believe as they choose. I hope they'll accept me as I come out of the closet about something...It's time to admit that I've been skirting (I couldn't resist) the issue of dresses and skirts vs. pants for quite some time now.



 The Duggar women do it. Whenever I watch their show, I notice that the girls are so well behaved and ladylike and always wearing skirts or dresses. Whenever their like minded friends visit, their daughters are also in skirts or dresses and also seem very sweet and well mannered. 

The Amish women do it. I've been watching the series Amish: Out of Order on National Geographic. This piqued my interest and I've recently read several books on the Amish. (No, we're not building an outhouse...not yet.) I realize that there is more to their behavior than their clothes, but I'm curious if it helps one to keep in a ladylike, feminine mindset. The Amish also believe that their clothing helps set them apart from the rest of the world (They refer to us non-Amish people as "the English").

I have examined (and re-examined, stomped on, made paper airplanes with, crumpled up, and ironed out) my faith, beliefs, and worldview over the past few years...And gone through some rough times because of some of my choices while in this period of re-examination and just recklessness at some points. Having three children removes the luxury (?) of being selfish and reckless and also requires one to get off the fence and have some solid, definable beliefs that guide parenting, child-rearing, and all decisions really.

I want to have authentic answers for my ever-questioning, always-thinking oldest son. I want to live a life that lines up with what I tell my children is true and important. I feel a huge burden to be a good example now that I have a daughter. Since I found out I was having a girl in my last pregnancy, I have been thinking over the ins and outs of raising a girl and the values, attitudes, and habits I want to impart to her. This brings me to the skirts...

The Bible verse used to support women not wearing pants is usually Deuteronomy 22:5-

"A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this."

This is not the driving factor for me, as I believe God desires modesty over a specific attire. I just need all the help I can get and I wonder if something tangible, like my clothing, will affect my attitude and behavior??

How will a simple wardrobe change affect my life? Will I feel and act more feminine? Will it affect my activities? Will it affect the way people perceive me and treat me? Will it remind me of my faith and my role in the family? (That can stir it up!)
I'm going pantsless for a month to try it out!

First step- A trip to Goodwill today to stock up on some skirts! (If this whole thing isn't for me, I'm not out much and can donate some back!)

4 comments:

  1. Go for it girl!!! I wear dresses and skirts in just about any situation that I can get away with it. And the answer to your question if it will make you more lady like...I think so!! I always feel so much more feminine when I am in a dress or skirt. I have more confidence and an overall more conservative attitude when I am in a dress. Great experiment girl!! Let us know how it turns out!!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW is all I can say. I wish you were closer to me... Then we could be in this together. As for will it remind you of your role and purpose in your family ABSOLUTELY... Since I started "skirting" I have put on Jeans (my former favorite) one time and I was in a bad mood all day. I know who I am when I'm in a dress or skirt. My inside matches my outside and the whole world knows just by what I choose to wear exactly where I stand. I think you might really be surprised. The ONLY problem I have had along the way is worrying about what other people no matter their beliefs will think... But the Lord always reminds me to Fear God and not man. Fear God (awe, respect, adore) him and choose his ways... I went from t-shirts and jeans everyday to a skirt and I thought it would be a drag and that I would hate it, but in this as in everything I have seen that God knows me better than I know myself and I love the way I feel in a skirt!!! Love you girl and I'm praying for you. After a while no one really notices but you. It's hard, but it almost severs the tie from the old way of thinking to God's ways. From Feminist to Feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think is awesome! It's so exciting when we feel God move in our life!!! If I could offer just a word... while you are on this journey that God has you on; just remember that it's your journey; phrases like God's way and God's design should always be followed by "for me". Otherwise it implies that it's God's design for ALL women to wear skirts and dresses which can only lead to the dangerous assumption that if you DON'T wear them, you aren't following God's way or design. Deuteronomy says don't wear men's clothing; not don't wear pants. We interpret it that way because in the day it was written, women wore gowns, but God knew the future when it was written and if he it was important for us to not wear pants, I believe he would have written, don't wear pants. Having said all that; in Christ we are dead to the law (praise GOD!) and so certainly we are free to wear what we choose; just as we are free to eat and shave and cut our hair and be around our family when it's "that time".... I think God is so great to love us individually and put us on individual journeys, but sometimes we can forget it's OUR journey and judge people for not walking it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura- Thanks for the response. I agree that Christians have to be careful in these situations...The Bible certainly does not say that women have to wear dresses. I am so thankful to be under grace and not the law! I can wear shorts to workout and then come home and put on a dress if I want to. It's a matter of doing whatever I can to help keep myself in a Christian, feminine mindset. Hope you and the fam are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete